This has been modified from an original found on the Internet to render it gluten-free and lower in sugar. Easy to make and you can also use tinned or bottled
pears – go for the low-sugar variety and make sure you drain them in a sieve
before adding to the cake mix.
- 150g softened butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups Gluten Free Goodies Company Cake and Biscuit Mix
- 3 tsp Gluten Free Goodies Company Baking Powder
- 2 cups of peeled, cored and finely chopped pears (likely to be 3 to 4
pears, depending on size)
- 1/3 cup of milk, nut milk, or water
- 1 ½ tsp ground ginger
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped glace ginger
- Handful of sultanas or currants, to taste (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line the bottom of a 22cm round cake tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Because this is a very high butter to sugar ratio, you might need to add a bit of the flour mix after the second egg, to stop the mix from separating.
- Add the milk and all dry ingredients and the chopped ginger (not the pears and sultanas) and mix until well combined.
- Stir in the sultanas and pears, mix well.
- Spread in the lined tin and bake 45-60 minutes or until a skewer comes out
- Cool in the tin for a few minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool fully.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar and a helping of whipped cream or yogurt, as desired.
Recipe by Judy Mcdonald