Zucchini Cakes with Citrus Icing
These are really good – not too sweet and nicely spiced. You can indeed use
medium sized marrows for this if the zucchinis have got away on you; I’ve done it
and you can’t tell!
- 1 ¾ cups Gluten Free Goodies Cake and Biscuit mix
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp Gluten Free Goodies baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- Finely grated rind of 1 orange or tangelo or lemon, plus the juice (used in the icing)
- ½ cup rice bran or light olive oil
- 2 loosely packed cups of grated zucchini or modestly-sized marrow
- 2 Tbsp poppy seeds
For the icing
- ¾ cup icing sugar
- 2-4 Tbsp citrus juice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Place flour, soda, baking powder, cinnamon and cardamom in a bowl and
- Beat eggs and sugar until thick and pale, then add the citrus rind and drizzle in the oil while still beating the mix.
- Add zucchini and poppy seeds to the wet mix and combine.
- Add the wet mix to the flour and mix thoroughly.
- Divide between the 12 cake cases.
- Bake 20-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool completely before icing.
Recipe by Judy Mcdonald